I Turned 40 and my Skin Changed…Overnight!
In your 40’s you will start to notice that your skin changes. It will appear duller, this is because cell turnover slows down by 50%. As collagen production decreases, you’ll begin to see hollows or dark circles under your eyes, thinning lips and the appearance of deeper lines and wrinkles. As hormones change during your 40’s, you will also see an increase in facial hair or peach fuzz. Sun exposure begins to catch up with you and you’ll also notice larger pores…it’s good times all around right!
But don’t worry there are some simple treatments that you can do on a regular basis (bi-monthly or more frequently if needed) to keep your skin looking its best. Among those treatments are:
- What is it? Microdermabrasion is a quick and painless procedure that uses a combination of abrasion and vacuuming/suction to break-up remove the outer damaged or dead layer of skin
- What does it treat? Wrinkles and fine lines, sun damage, uneven skin tone, scars, dull/dead skin. Promotes collagen production and reduces acne symptoms.
- Benefits: Quick, painless, low-risk, no downtime, affordable
- Recovery/Downtime: None, slight redness, and mild swelling for about 24 hours
- What is it? There are varying degrees of chemical peels, but it is a treatment in which a chemical solution is applied to the face to remove the outer surface layers of skin.
- What does it treat?Sun damage, brown spots or uneven skin tone, acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles, acne, and dull skin
- Benefits:Can be as aggressive or light as needed to accomplish goals
- Recovery/Downtime: For light glycolic peels there is no downtime, for deeper or more aggressive chemical peels our board-certified aestheticians will advise you on the amount of downtime.
- What is it? It is a deep cleansing and massage on your face
- What does it treat?Facials can be customized to address many conditions and is an excellent overall anti-aging or maintenance treatment.
- Benefits: Relaxation, deep cleansing of pores, deep moisturizing, and exfoliation
- Recovery/Downtime: None
- What is it? A form of collagen induction therapy in which an applicator tip is applied to the skin and creates thousands of superficial micro-channels or holes. This stimulates the skin’s natural ability to heal and rejuvenate itself.
- What does it treat? Fine lines, moderate wrinkles, scarring, skin laxity, uneven tone and texture, enlarged pores, stretch marks and sun damage.
- Benefits: visible improvement will appear in the first couple of weeks and continue for up to 6 months. The skins healing process stimulates the production of collagen and elastin for smoother, firmer, healthier looking skin.
- Recovery/Downtime: None, there is a bit of redness (very similar to a minor sunburn) that will take anywhere from 24 to 72 hours to subside.